Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I drove the Chevy Volt!

This past weekend we took the Chevrolet Volt at the Kiwanis pancake breakfast outside the J.F. Hurley YMCA. I'm no car salesman, but I urged curious children, teenagers and adults to get inside, put their foot on the brake, and press the "on" button that turned on the car. Those brave enough to venture into the Volt were glad they did. 

Their faces lit up and they were hypnotized by the computer screens around them, with icons swirling around. And they couldn't believe there was no engine noise. They didn't believe me when I said the car was running. The loved the swooshing futuristic noise the Volt made when being turned on or off. And they enjoyed exploring the touch screen and touching the icons on the dash. 

And when the breakfast was over, I got to drive the Volt back to the dealership - Team Auto Group. I was nervous for several reasons, mainly because it was brand new, but also because it made no noise. I was scared I was doing something wrong, but I wasn't... it's really just that quiet of a car.

The Volt might be a little pricey, but it charges for only $1 a day, and the charge gets you 379 miles down the road before you need another charge. If you spend $50 a week in gas, that's $2,600 you spend on gas every year. Getting gas to the United States and then the emissions released from our cars are far more expensive to our environment than our pocketbook. The Volt is emission-free.

Here's a video I did of the Volt starting up and shutting down. I didn't have a chance to video the Volt in action going down the road, but hopefully will soon. We've had the Volt for about a week and it's already sold and gone. A good sign for GM and the environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment